Mary Immaculate, a dynamic and caring community committed to enacting our faith; inspiring, challenging and engaging lifelong learners.
(excellence, integrity, inclusiveness, respect)
Mary Immaculate Primary School (MIPS) is a fabulous small school in the heart of Ivanhoe – positioned in a leafy and quiet residential area close to the Darebin Parklands. The benefits of our small school go far beyond high academic achievement, MIPS presents unique opportunities for our students’ social and emotional growth, relationship building and high expectations both in and out of the classroom.
Research indicates that the benefits of a small school like MIPS include:
- Students develop strong relationships with their peers and their teachers, in an environment where they are known and appreciated as a whole person, not just a classmate or student.
- Teachers know their students well and are able to personalise instruction to meet the needs of individual students, while also encouraging all students to meet higher expectations.
- Small schools foster leadership and social emotional skills through increased student engagement and sense of belonging.
- Students demonstrate that they feel more accepted and confident, and will help their classmates problem solve, resolve conflicts, and work in teams.
- Students at have more opportunities to participate in activities, clubs and the arts, allowing them to develop leadership skills in a greater diversity of situations.
- Teachers experience higher levels of job satisfaction, leading to increased teacher retention and consequently, increased consistency for their students – students are therefore more likely to be interested, energetic, curious and excited about their learning.
Mary Immaculate Primary School has a variety of engaging spaces that promote and support student learning. These include:
- classrooms equipped with interactive whiteboards, wireless internet and network connection; and access to a wide range of Digital Technologies
- senior learning area consisting of two classrooms and shared area including a kitchen
- Visual Arts and Italian specialist classroom
- a brand new Science and Technology Lab equipped with an aquaponic fish tank, iPads, digital microscope, 3D printer, Lego WeDo 2.0 and Bee-Bot robotic and coding sets, and a variety of other science and technology learning resources
- fully resourced library and meeting rooms
- fully equipped school hall, which hosts a range of activities such as Performing Arts, Physical Education, school assemblies, class performances, parent information evenings and community events.
Our junior and senior students have separate outdoor play areas, both equipped with adventure playgrounds, a variety of active and passive play spaces, all surrounded by beautifully maintained gardens. The junior and senior playgrounds are joined by an amphitheatre which provides a great meeting place for the whole school and opportunities for students of all ages to mingle and play together.
We are a ResourceSmart school, committed to educating our school community about the environment and sustainability. We have student and staff Environment and Sustainability Leaders who are supporting our school community to reduce, reuse and recycle waste, reduce energy consumption, promote biodiversity and save water. We have water tanks which collect the runoff water from the school buildings, which is then used for a variety of purposes including maintaining our Sustainability Gardens, including our class planting boxes, and flushing the student toilets.
Mary Immaculate School is a Catholic Primary School, committed to enacting our faith as we inspire, challenge and engage lifelong learners. As a dynamic and caring community that values excellence, integrity, inclusiveness and respect, our students are at the centre of all we do. Through embedding a culture of thinking, we aim to develop the positive social, personal and learning dispositions of our students, enabling them to thrive in the contemporary world.