Mary Immaculate School conducts various programs that engage our students in learning beyond the classroom and interacting with the broader community:
- Darebin Parklands: With our close proximity to the Darebin Parklands the school accesses a number of programs on offer through the City of Darebin. Students explore aspects of our environment and sustainability under the guidance of the park rangers.
- Ivanhoe District School Sporting Association: Our senior students participate in inter-school sport competitions with the other primary schools in the district during Term 2 and Term 3. Our students also participate in district sports gala days including; Soccer Round Robin, Swimming Carnival, Cross Country, Athletics Carnival, Hooptime Basketball, Netball Round Robin and more.
- Banyule City Council: We work closely with the local Biodiversity Officer to plant native flora throughout our school grounds. The Year 3 and 4 students investigate how this encourages native wildlife to flourish. Our school choir regularly sings at the Council’s Citizenship Ceremonies and we have taken part in the annual ArtyFarty Fest.
- Lawn Bowling Program: Our senior students interact with the members of the Ivanhoe Lawn Bowls Club, sharing and listening to perspectives from a different generation while learning the skills of lawn bowling.
- Mission Fair: Our Year 5 and 6 students organise and run our annual ‘Mission Fair’, raising money for members of our community who are less fortunate than us. In recent years, the money we have raised has been donated to Caritas Australia, the Open the Doors Foundation and the Exodus Community. In 2020, our school raised over $1300 which was presented to the Kinglake West CFA. Peter from the CFA used our donation to purchase some much-needed portable communication radios. The fire crews use these devises when onsite at an emergency and they have been critical in supporting the firefighters’ vital work over the summer months.